UroFirst - Advanced Urology Centre is a state-of-the-art urological clinic. Here, Dr. Sumanta Kumar Mishra, one of the best urologist in Bhubaneswar who performs pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar. He has significant expertise in identifying and treating conditions of the male and female urinary tracts and male reproductive organs.
Moreover, Dr. Sumanta Kumar Mishra is well-known for his proficiency in complex surgeries like kidney transplant surgery and minimally invasive procedures such as laparoscopic donor nephrectomy and laparoscopic pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar.
In this article, we will discuss more one of the specialties of Dr. Sumanta Kumar Mishra, the laparoscopic pyeloplasty surgery.
What is Pyeloplasty?
Pyeloplasty is a type of surgery that repairs the ureter – a tube that attaches to the kidney and bladder. Our highly qualified and experienced pyeloplasty surgeon in Bhubaneswar, Dr. Sumanta Kumar Mishra, performs this inpatient procedure to correct ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction.
Pyeloplasty can be performed in one of two ways:
- Open surgery: It entails making a small cut (a few centimetres broad) on the side of the problem. The surgeon pushes back the skin to see and work on the infant directly. Usually, this type of surgery is done in infants.
- Laparoscopic surgery: It entails making several minor incisions (a few millimetres wide) in the abdomen. The surgeon places long, thin equipment and a camera inside the tiny holes to operate from the outside of the stomach.
Laparoscopic pyeloplasty in Bhubaneswar is a minimally invasive technique for repairing a constriction or scarring where the ureter (the tube that empties urine from the kidney to the bladder) joins the kidney.
This surgery helps remove a blockage or narrowing in the ureter, connecting the kidney to the bladder. A ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction causes poor and sluggish urine outflow from the kidney. UPJ obstruction causes abdominal and flank pain, kidney stones, infection, elevated blood pressure, and renal function impairment.
At UroFirst, compared to the conventional open pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar, laparoscopic pyeloplasty has resulted in:
- Significantly less post-operative pain
- Shorter hospital stays
- Earlier return to work and daily activities
- More favourable cosmetic results and outcomes identical to the open procedure.
Procedure of laparoscopic pyeloplasty surgery
- Dr. Sumanta Mishra may perform laparoscopic pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar under general anesthesia. The procedure usually takes three to four hours to complete.
- Our surgeon performs the surgery by making small incisions in the abdomen. The surgeon inserts a telescope and small instruments into the abdomen through these keyhole incisions.
- The surgeon can repair the blockage/narrowing without placing his hands into the abdomen.
- A short plastic tube (known as a ureteral stent) is left inside the ureter after the procedure to help drain the kidney and bridge the pyeloplasty repair. This stent will be left in place for around four weeks.
- Then, the surgeon will remove it in the clinic. A small drain will also be placed in the patient's flank to drain any fluid accumulated around the kidney and the pyeloplasty repair.
Who can go for pyeloplasty surgery?
- A pyeloplasty may be required in both adults and children. A UPJ obstruction affects twice as many men as it does women.
- In infants, if the problem does not improve after 18 months, pyeloplasty will most likely be required.
- A UPJ obstruction can also affect older children, teenagers, and adults, who may require a pyeloplasty if their kidney is obstructed.
Recovery & aftercare of pyeloplasty surgery
- Following laparoscopic pyeloplasty, you will spend the next several hours in the recovery room, where your vital signs will be monitored, and any immediate post-operative issues will be observed.
- Following laparoscopic pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar, you will need hospitalization for 24 to 48 hours. The doctor will prescribe post-operative pain medicine and antibiotics.
- After the surgery, the stent will be removed in 4 to 6 weeks. For at least two weeks following the surgery, avoid intense activities such as moving heavy objects, jogging, using a treadmill, or participating in sports.
- You will be told to move around, avoid becoming constipated, and do some simple breathing exercises to prevent respiratory infections. After laparoscopic pyeloplasty, you should be able to resume your daily routine in 2 to 4 weeks.
Why Choose Dr. Sumanta Mishra for Pyeloplasty Surgery in Bhubaneswar?
- Dr. Sumanta Mishra performs safe and result-oriented pyeloplasty surgery in Bhubaneswar.
- Being one of the leading pyeloplasty surgeon in Bhubaneswar, he strives to attain the finest results possible to improve the quality of life of his patients.
- Moreover, Dr. Sumanta provides laparoscopic pyeloplasty at an inexpensive pyeloplasty surgery cost in Bhubaneswar.
- Also, Dr. Sumanta possesses a great deal of expertise, skills, and dedication to providing the best possible urological care.