Has it become increasingly difficult to urinate, and do you spend a long time waiting for the urine to start flowing? Is it painful when you urinate, or do you find it difficult holding your urine back when not near a washroom? It is time to visit a urologist to rule out urologic cancers.
Urologic cancers can affect the ureter, kidneys, bladder, and urethra, as well as the penis, testicles, and prostate in men. Most urologic malignancies require surgery, while some cases may require alternative treatments.
If you or your loved one finds it challenging to pass urine and are looking for an effective treatment, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Sumanta Mishra, an eminent urologist in Bhubaneswar. He is the medical head of UroFirst - Advanced Urology Centre, a state-of-the-art urology facility in Odisha.
What are the different types of urologic cancers?
Urological cancers can occur in many forms. Some cancers, like kidney, urethral, and bladder cancer, can affect both men and women, while some are gender-specific, like vaginal cancer in women and testicular cancer in men.
The following are examples of urological cancers:
Cancer that affects just men
This affects the prostate gland. The prostate gland aids in the production of seminal fluid, which carries sperm. The prostate envelops the tract that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body.
It is walnut-shaped and grows larger with age. It is among the most common cancers in males and is usually easy to treat.
A type of cancer that develops on the skin or in the tissues of the penis. Squamous cell tumors of the foreskin or glans (tip of the penis) account for most penile malignancies.
If penile cancer is detected early on, it is usually treatable.
This cancer usually affects only one testicle, but it can sometimes affect both the testicles. Younger men are more likely to develop this type of cancer, although it can strike anyone at any age.
It is highly curable even after cancer has progressed beyond the testicle.
Dr. Sumanta Mishra, one of the best urologists in Bhubaneswar, recommends testicular self-examinations once a month to look for abnormalities or lumps in the testicles.
Cancer that affects both men and women
This cancer starts in the bladder and spreads to the rest of the body. It usually affects the cells lining your bladder. This type of cancer is most common in older persons, although it can affect anyone.
Fortunately, bladder cancer is usually detected early due to blood in the urine. It is highly curable if discovered early.
This cancer affects the kidneys, and the most prevalent form of kidney cancer in adults is renal cell carcinoma.
Also called adrenal gland cancer, is a type of cancer that affects the adrenal glands. There is one adrenal gland located above each kidney.
What are the signs and symptoms of urologic cancers?
The signs and symptoms differ according to the cancer type and stage.
Prostate cancer -
Not everyone with prostate cancer may experience symptoms. However, if cancer progresses, it may manifest itself in different forms like:
- Urinary incontinence, also known as overactive bladder, is when you are unable to hold your urine
- Difficulty or having to strain when trying to urinate
- A weak stream of urine or a break in the stream
- Pelvic pain
- Bone pain
- ED (Erectile dysfunction) - unable to get a firm erection
- Painful ejaculation or urination
- Traces of blood when urinating
- Blood in semen
Penile Cancer -
Symptoms of penile cancer may include:
- Changes in the penis skin, such as color, a lump or sore, thickness, or formation of new tissues
- A rash that may be crusty, velvety, reddish, or bluish-brown
- Penis discharge or leakage which may have a foul odor
- Swelling near the glans (tip or head of the penis)
- Swelling or bulging lymph node around the groin
Testicular cancer -
It usually affects only one testicle at a time. The following are some of the signs and symptoms:
- A lump on the testicle
- A testicle that has grown in size
- A weighty sensation in the scrotum (skin holding the testicles)
- Pain in the testicle or scrotum
- A burning sensation in the lower abdomen or groin
Bladder cancer -
Symptoms of bladder cancer include:
- Blood while urinating or hematuria- Bladder cancer is often detectable early due to hematuria.
- Changes in urinating habits: Burning or pain when passing urine, urinating more frequently, and having a strong need to urinate even when your bladder is empty. (These are also symptoms of other illnesses, such as UTI or urinary tract infections)
- Not being able to urinate
- Lower backache, particularly on one side
- Appetite loss
- Loss of weight
- Edema (Inflammation of the feet)
- Aching bones
Kidney cancer -
Although kidney cancer symptoms and signs can be similar to those of a kidney infection, symptoms that need to be checked out are:
- Urine with blood
- Persistent back pain, slightly below the ribs
- Loss of weight
- Fever that comes and goes
Adrenal cancer -
The symptoms of Adrenal cancer include:
- Sudden weight gain
- Weakness in the muscles
- Stretch marks that are purple or pink
- Feeling nauseous
- Hormonal imbalance in women causing irregular periods, spurt in facial hair, and hair loss
- Hormonal imbalance in men causing testicles to shrink and swollen or enlarged breasts
What are the treatments for urologic cancers?
Surgery is the most prevalent treatment strategy utilized by Dr. Sumanta Mishra, among the leading uro-oncologists in Bhubaneswar, to treat urologic cancer.
The type of surgery required is determined by the type of cancer and its stage. Chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, and other treatments may also be used if your urologic cancer has spread.
A number of factors influence urological cancer treatment, including your cancer type, cancer stage, age, health, preference, etc.
Why choose UroFirst - Advanced Urology Centre for your treatment?
UroFirst - Advanced Urology Centre is a world-class urological treatment centre with advanced and sophisticated equipment and cutting edge technology to provide you the best possible treatment.
Dr. Sumanta Kumar Mishra, a well-qualified and skilled urologist, concentrates on offering the most efficient and effective urological cancer therapy. Due to his expertise and successful procedures he is one of the preferred urologists in Bhubaneswar.
You will get individualized, evidence-based approach depending on the kind and stage of your urologic malignancy.
Your urinary system works tirelessly to control, manage, and eliminate urine waste. It consists of many moving elements, including your ureters, urethra, kidneys, and bladder. Your urinary system can develop urologic disorders or diseases, causing severe discomfort, pain, and embarrassing conditions like urine incontinence.
Discomfort and pain are your body's way of informing you that something is wrong; therefore, it is critical to get help. These issues necessitate an accurate evaluation to ensure that appropriate treatment is provided.
If you or your loved one is experiencing any discomforting symptoms, please get in touch with Dr. Sumanta Mishra, a top-notch urologist in Bhubaneswar. He is highly skilled and will customize therapies for your specific condition, help minimize side effects, and address any concerns with sexual function.